Wednesday, April 20, 2011

The Almighty Feijoa


Today I thought I would post about a classic New Zealand late summer fruit. These grow everywhere in Auckland. It's very handy because quite often you can find them scattered around the pavement, and have an easy, free , afternoon snack. Some people like to eat the entire fruit, yes including the skin! They say that the astringent sour taste offsets the juicy innards. I myself disagree completely, and also eating the skin opens you up to all types of filth. So there are two ways to eat a feijoa left, one is with a spoon, and the other is by ripping it in half and sucking out all the innards, this is the way I like to eat it. Leaving only a trace of the innards to be found.
Now in my back yard we have a feijoa tree, but this year it has been a source of disapointment to me. The best way to get a feioa is wait untill they fall off the tree , so they are soft enough to become a velvety mush. But this year, almost every single one on the tree has been attacked and ravaged by the local pest, a possum.
This has led to many early morning rages, as I go out to the tree only to find the big plump juicy feijoa I had eyed up the night before is left as merely a carcass. But the worst thing is, el possumo doesnt enjoy the whole feijoa, he merely bites his way in through the skin and sucks out the tiniest bit of the innards, as if he is playing a cruel prank on me.
So this morning I have cleared the tree of all fruit, leaving myself with a pitiful hall of undersized feijoas, but at least I know tomorrow morning it will be mr possum who is crying, not me .
Forever Alone Feijoa

19 comments:

  1. are these just basic kiwi fruits? just a more scientific name?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, they are a lot different! kiwifruit has a furry skin, with either a golden or green inside, and quite a different taste

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never heard of these before. Must not import to the US.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a peculiar and strange fruit. I might try some of these one of this days.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like... something that'd be tasty.

    Must... try.

    ReplyDelete
  6. sounds like kiwi to me...
    But they look different... Good luck with the rat problem

    ReplyDelete
  7. Does it cook well? or do you just eat it raw?

    ReplyDelete
  8. it's only recently started getting used as a savoury food, but makes very very nice sweet foods - muffins, crumbles etc

    ReplyDelete
  9. Okay never seen these before, as an Aussie I'm sure we must get them here about to go look at the fruit shop now!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sweet sweet revenge, the first pic looks yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks tasty :) Can't get it where I live though.

    ReplyDelete
  12. ive ever even heard of this fruit, but i really want to go to new zealand maybe i could try it one day

    ReplyDelete
  13. Never ate any of these gonna try it, thanks for sharing ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. interesting, what do they taste like? Are they similar in flavour to any other fruits?

    following for more

    ReplyDelete